I Am Libellule – pattern review

Update – also made in wool/cashmere as a jacket, and was very successful and stylish! As I’d traced around the pattern pieces anyway, it was quicker and easier to do than the first time.




I chose the pattern online and it cost £14. It’s for a blouse or a jacket (long or short) with a stand up collar and hidden button placket. The fabric is quilting cotton from my stash. I used Gutermann thread and have a Pfaff QE 4.2

I expected to get the normal type of pattern with the pieces on paper which you cut out and use. However the pattern pieces were printed onto one small sheet and were overlapping one another, which meant you had no option but to trace them all from that sheet onto pattern paper or tracing paper. This annoyed me no end!  For £14 I’d expect to have a usable pattern immediately without the bother of copying it all out. I also didn’t like that if you wanted the longer version the pattern simply said to add 10 5/8″ to the pattern pieces – not good enough as to lengthen involved non straight edges and a curved hem. Again, for £14 that extra length and shaping should have been printed onto the pattern.

Also one of the pieces – the collar – appeared to have two length options when you only needed one, and there was no explanation about it. I think some of the instructions also suffered in translation from French as the meaning was occasionally hard to follow.

However, all that aside, it was easy enough to make if you have a little experience, and is a good fit. I chose to cut out a size 40 and think I could have fitted the 38. (I’m between a 12 and 14 M&S dress size, but always go with the manufacturers measurements).  I liked the style and will make again both as a jacket and in a lighter material, a blouse. The hidden button stand was easy to do and effective.